Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Settling In - The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly - Part 1

The last few days have been rather hectic in our house.  Not because we have had a lot of places to go, but because we've had a lot of things to do.  Don't get me wrong, we have gone out (storage lot where the camper is parked - twice, restaurant, grocery store, hardware store, and a homeschooling function).

But most of the work that we've been doing has been around the house.  We've been unpacking our stuff, making phone calls (LOTS of them), and sorting through the stuff that was already in the house.

The down side to renting a furnished house is that you find things that you would NEVER in a million years have in your house. For example, who needs 8 hammers?  What about an electric hand mixer that is missing one of it's beaters?  How about paint that no longer matches any of the colors currently in or on the house or is crusty and unusable?  And don't get me started on the child-unfriendly decorations.  I guess we shouldn't be surprised since before us, this house was rented seasonally to snow birds (meaning with no kids).

I haven't really had time to think about homeschooling except to think that I really need to get a library card.  But before I can get a library card, I need a driver's license.  Because I want to get my driver's license and my tags done at the same time, I need to get proof of insurance on our truck.  (Can you begin to see all the phone calls that I've been talking about?)

The most interesting thing about this whole process is that at one point I was thinking we might not be able to get insurance for our truck.  You see, it is one of, if not THE biggest non-commercial truck built and as such is in a category unto itself when it comes to insurance through my company.  The good news is that I have been able to confirm they can insure it (and it's not much more than when we were in VA).  The bad news was that I had to wait for them to mail me the proof of insurance because their system would not let them email it because our truck is too big.  It finally showed up today.  Not that I've gotten the contract to sign (again, they can't email it without the system being overridden because of the truck's size).

I also found out the insurance company that was insuring our camper "is not taking applications for waterside communities."  After numerous calls over multiple days, I think that I have found a company to insure it.

Being that hubby is self-employed we are also responsible for our own health insurance.  Our old policy will not cover us in Florida so I've been working on that too.  I found out today that they have lost 2 weeks time because their system said they needed additional information, but we were never contacted to get the information.  I guess it's a good thing our old insurer will give us 2 months to find a new policy down here.

Oh, and tomorrow the kids and I are driving an hour each way to attend two homeschool co-op classes.  Looks like it's going to be another long and busy day tomorrow.  Looking forward to the weekend (you know when I can't make phone calls because everything is closed).

1 comment:

  1. If anyone can get all this done, I know it is you. Deep breaths. I hope the weekend is a welcome respite for you from the logistics. ~J

    ReplyDelete