Sunday, September 18, 2011

Connecting?

One of the things about being a homeschooler and moving to a new area is the fact that you and your kids don't have the opportunities to make friends in the same way that families with kids in school do.  It's only compounded by the fact that our neighborhood is half empty because it's a snow-bird community and very few of the people who are living here have kids (much less kids as young as mine).

We are members of two homeschooling groups, one of which is relatively local.  The second is based one hour away.  So far, I have made better connections with the people who live farther away.  I'm hoping that PE class with the more local group this week will remedy that.

The other way that I've found to make friends is at church.  Unfortunately, since moving to Florida we have not been to church.  Last week, I was sick and this week the kids both had tummy issues and I wasn't willing to chance it.

We've only been here for 10 days so I'm certainly not going to sweat it at this point.  Just an observation that although I've mentioned homeschooling's advantages, it also has some disadvantages.

No comments:

Post a Comment