Sunday, September 11, 2011

Remembering

It's hard to believe that the September 11th terrorist attacks happened 10 years ago.  I can still remember my day like it was yesterday.  I remember where I was when I heard about it.  I remember vividly what I did that day.  I even remember what I was wearing that day. 

Before you read on, let me warn you:  I am about to do something I don't normally do.  I am going to talk politics and religion.  Why?  Because I have heard something that has riled me so much I MUST say something.

I am a firm believer that the definition of "separation of church and state" has been taken too far.  The way things are handled now are not how the founders of our country intended for things to be.   What is happening now, is the refusal by many politicians to publicly acknowledge the Christian religion.  They are bending over backwards to not offend Muslims and Atheists, but they are doing it at the exclusion of the Christian faith.


Recently, I heard that New York City Mayor Bloomberg has decided that there will be no clergy participation at the 9/11 memorial service.  That means there will be no clergy speaking or even praying at the service. 

I don't know about you, but I think it's safe to say there were a lot of people praying on Sept 11, 2001, and I think that they would completely understand there being a short prayer at the 10 year memorial.  I certainly would like to see it.

All rants aside, today is a day to remember those whose lives were lost.  Those who were in the airplanes, in the buildings, and the first responders.  I weep at the needless loss of life because a fanatical religious group has decided we must be wiped out.  I am thankful for those first responders who showed what true Christian love is (being willing to lay down their life for another - John 15:13). 

I've also heard from a friend that "Due to "lack of room", NYC Police Officers, Port Authority Police Officers and FDNY Firefighters are not "invited" to the 10th anniversary of 9/11 at Ground Zero. Funny - they weren't invited on that day in 2001, either - they just "showed up" and became our heroes."


So what am I going to do today to remember Sept 11, 2001?  I am going to pray...  pray for the families of those lost, thank God for the first responders and that my family was unharmed, and pray for our country to return to her roots. 

4 comments:

  1. I'm proud of you. Sometimes you can't look the other way, you have to take a stand. You've chosen the right things to stand for, God and country.
    Dad

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for standing up today. The people that showed up to help will not be forgotten by us. I will pray for the people who lost their lives in the towers and their families, the police, firemen and clergy that came to help and comfort and yes, pray. God bless America and her people.

    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. The people at the Pentagon and Pennsylvania heroes will live in our hearts. They are having praying at the Pentagon. Thank you for allowing prayer today. As Karrie said, a lot of people were praying that day including the ones of us at home watching the tv screen and praying it was a nightmare we would wake up from.

    Mom

    ReplyDelete