Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Dodged THAT Bullet - I Think

Today, my son came to me wanting to go into the pool enclosure (Note: Our rule is that an adult MUST be in the pool enclosure with a child).  Apparently, he saw a HUGE lizard hanging onto the screen around the pool.  Upon further investigation, it was actually 2 lizards that were mating.

Being the inquisitive child that he is, he asked me what they were doing.  I then told him, they were making eggs.  After they separated (shortly after we arrived), he asked me where the eggs were.  I told him it takes a while for the girl to make them.  Then he asked me how long it takes for the eggs to hatch.  We then went into the house and looked it up on my computer.  Luckily that changed his focus and he didn't question me further.

That is a conversation I think he is capable of handling, I just want his Daddy to be the one to have it with him.  I'll deal with his sister in a couple years (I'm sure Daddy is OK with that plan).

3 comments:

  1. Oh dear...it can't really be happening that soon!! These are conversations I'm so thankful fall under "dad's territory" in our house!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thoroughly enjoyed being on the phone when he asked all his questions. You handled it matter of fact and I think that is a good method. I thought he would end up asking more considering what he actually saw. No question about what happened.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so not ready for these conversations, but I agree that matter of fact answers are the best approach. I like that you used it as a learning opportunity to go research it. ~J

    ReplyDelete