Saturday, August 20, 2011

Score One for Me

While helping our friends pack to move overseas, we learned something very important.  We learned that it's very expensive to take care of a horse.  We've always known that horses were not cheap, but what we really learned was that it can cost upwards of $20,000 once the horse has been "retired."  What is retired?  That means the horse cannot be ridden anymore. 

One of the things drawing Jon to Texas was land so that we can have a horse or two.  I think the discovery of how much it could cost to care for a horse after it can no longer be ridden has officially deterred Jon from wanting to own a horse now.  That is now one less thing that makes Texas so appealing.  Score one for me and my desire to stay in Florida! 

1 comment:

  1. That's ok. He can still ride horses in most states. You don't have to own them. Someone else can use the money to help them pay that money. I'm sure you'll find horses where ever you move but I can't say I'm upset we may live in the same state again.
    I love you. Glad you are having a great trip and the kids are enjoying themselves.

    ReplyDelete