Sunday, August 14, 2011

Ohio Observations

Many of my readers may not be aware, but I grew up in Ohio.  Most of my life was spent in Virginia, but some of my most formative years were spent in Ohio (I remember our house and a few of the places we visited often to this day).  Anyway, when you live in Ohio as a child there are some things you miss.

For example, when trying to get directions from our friends, they asked, "Do you know where route XX is?"  My reply, "Uh, no."  In Virginia, it would be a case of, "Take a right and drive till you see an Exxon gas station.  Then turn right."  In Ohio, that doesn't work, because it would be something like this, "Take a right at the end of the street.  Then drive till you pass the 5th corn field.  Then turn right.  Go past a soy bean field and turn left.  You'll see the park in another 1/2 mile."

I also don't remember seeing a Mennonite woman (dressed in typical Mennonite attire) get into a $60K Mercedes before.

There must not be much to do in the burbs of Ohio but camp.  I remember as a child going camping in our pop-up camper.  When it came time to find a campground for this trip, it was hard to do.  Not because they don't exist, but because most of the campgrounds I found that weren't run down were state parks which had no sewer hook ups (something we can live without for a while, but not for 10 days).  We have also found that our campground fills up on the weekends (starting on Thurs night).  Because of that, the campground charges more on the weekends (supply and demand).  Oh, and their weekday rates are the highest we've paid yet.  I know from looking at brochures of places we stayed in Florida, the rates are higher here in Ohio than the premium charged at most places in Florida during the winter too!

I must say, the temperatures the last few days have been spectacular though!  With the exception of some wind and rain that rolled in suddenly last night, it's been just about perfect.  I can't remember if this is typical or not, but I will certainly take if over the 95+ temps we had in Virginia.

No comments:

Post a Comment