Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Make New Friends, But Keep the Old

Yesterday morning, the kids and I hopped in the truck and drove to a park to meet a friend of mine who I have not seen in 10 years.  She happens to have a daughter who is around the ages of both my kids so the kids played while we caught up.

Needless to say many things have happened since we saw each other last, so there was lots to catch up on. That said, she and I have that kind of relationship where we can just pick up like we saw each other just the other day.  Facebook has certainly helped us keep in touch over the last couple years, but even before that, we always seem to pick up where we left off.

In the afternoon, the kids and I picked up Jon and headed off to our friends to help them with their air freight pickup as well as some final packing.  We also had dinner with some friends of theirs (who happen to be moving into their house once they are gone).  They are a very sweet couple and I can certainly understand why they get along so well.  If we lived in the area, I would guess we would get together with them on occasion as well.

Days like yesterday just make me so thankful for the friends I have (especially the once I've had for many years and who still like me and "get" me) as well as the opportunity I have of making new friends.  Friends have a way of enriching our lives like nothing else can.

No comments:

Post a Comment