Thursday, August 18, 2011

Pain Relief!

I'm not sure what caused it, but about 3 months ago my sciatic nerve started bothering me.  I've had it happen before, but the pain didn't last nearly as long that time.  The good news is that I think I've found the answer... regular use of a hot pad and stretching.

One of the first things I did when I got to Virginia was to see a chiropractor.  When I had the sciatic problem before, he was able to adjust me and it was fine in a couple days.  Unfortunately, I think I let it sit so long it didn't fix quite so easily this time.  He was able to give me some stretches to do and they helped.  It wasn't until I started using a hot pad a couple times a day that the pain would actually not be present when I woke up in the morning (when it would bother me the most).

Interestingly enough, when we visited Jon's grandparents recently, I found out that his grandmother was having the same problem (on the same side no less).  She'd been given some stretches as well but she hadn't been using a hot pad either.  I mentioned it and she decided to give it a try right then and there (it was bothering her at the time).  Guess what?  It worked for her too! 

Now, if only I could stop lugging boxes (or children) for a few days, maybe it would get completely better.

No comments:

Post a Comment