Friday, August 26, 2011

Revamp or Give Up?

We have been visiting my in-laws and today they were out of the house so I decided it was a good opportunity for the kids to do some school.  The goal was to do a basic review and just get them both used to the idea that school will be starting in-force soon.
My daughter was excited.  She wants to start reading and doing math like her big brother.

Her big brother on the other hand, wanted (and wants) nothing to do with school.  He cried and whined about how much he hates school.  He told me he hates reading and writing and the only thing he likes is math and doing crafts.  I was able to get him to read a little and write even less, but it was like pulling teeth.

I've been reading around and getting advice from different people and I've heard the following:
  • Bribe him (paying him something like $.01 a page or a larger amount like $100 if he does it every day till ____).
  • Force him to do school.
  • Send him to school so someone else is forcing him to do school.
  • Send him to a Montessori school so it's at least a little less formal.
  • Leave him alone.  He'll get with the program when he's ready. 
I have so many things running through my head right now that I just don't know what to do.  Jon was a reluctant learner till he was about 9 (so I have 1.5 more years).  I want to leave him alone and see if he will come around on his own, but I also don't want to get in trouble with the school system.

Any new suggestions our there?

1 comment:

  1. That is tough my friend. I don't have any answers. My first thought was send him to a school so you don't become locked into a battle with him, but he might resent that too. My second thought was to try to build math and crafts into the other topics and call it math and crafts. Reading and constructing things could be crafts. Figuring out the numbers/amounts for things like change or tax at a grocery store. I wish I had better ideas for you. I will keep this in my thoughts for you both. ~J

    ReplyDelete