Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Improv at it's Finest

How many of you have made grand plans to do or make something only to find out as you were about to do it that you were missing something really important?  Well, that was me last night.  Hubby is not a big fan of chicken, but I always try to have it at least once a week because I know it's more health than having red meat all the time.  I've found a few recipes that he puts up with better than others so I try to do those frequently.  Last night, I was going to make chicken parmesan for the first time since being in the camper.

The problem came when I pulled out the chicken and realized that each chicken breast was about 2" thick on one side and 1/2" thick on the other.  And guess what?  I don't have a meat tenderizer!  What's a girl to do?  Use a wine cooler bottle of course.  Yes, I used a full bottle of wine cooler.  I thought of using a beer bottle because it had a wider base, but was afraid it would foam too much.  It worked very well though.

Then it was time to crush the croutons for the coating.  Oops!  I usually use a rolling pin for that job and of course I don't have one of those either.  So what did I do?  I used an empty sphagetti sauce jar on it's side.

Good news...the food was inhaled by all and I had a good time trying to figure out how to make do with what I have.  I think it was some of the most moist chicken I've made yet too!

What is a coking improvisation you've made (for good or bad)?

2 comments:

  1. There's something very satisfying about using your own resourcefulness to get a job done. Great ideas for the rolling pin; our rolling pin mysteriously disappeared and reappeared months later, cracked in the toy room, so I've had to go without, too. Never thought to use a small wine bottle.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You can tenderize meat by using the edge of a plate. I used to do this all the time before I got the one I have now.

    ReplyDelete