Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Grandma Would be Proud

Today I finished my first pair of knit socks.  Until the last couple of years of her life, my grandmother knit socks for all her kids and grand-kids, as well as many of her nieces and nephews each and every year.

About a year before my grandmother passed away, she came to Virginia to visit with my parents (and by the fact that I lived 6 minutes away my family as well).  While she was visiting, I made a point to have her teach me how to knit.  Granted, her eye sight wasn't what is used to be, nor was her manual dexterity what it used to be.  But she showed me a few basics and she made sure that I had all of her patterns (including the pattern she used for the socks she made for Christmas presents).

Since that day, I have had a few friends give me some pointers and I've also found a website that has some videos I've been able to watch, but I owe my knitting to my grandmother.  I wanted to carry on the tradition of knitting socks for my family at Christmas.  In fact, I was going to make my first pair of socks for her, but she passed away before I was able to make them.  Instead, the first pair of socks I made are for my nephew (due in mid-Sept).  I did not use my grandmother's pattern (I wanted something a little more "baby"), but I'm planning on working on some of those for my kids next.

No comments:

Post a Comment