Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Being Useful

Well, I think I may have found my calling.  OK, maybe not my calling, but a way to funnel my creativity into something useful.  I love to make things: cookies, cakes, cross stitch, and now knitting.

A couple days ago I finished knitting a hat for my soon-to-be-born nephew.  I wasn't too happy with how it turned out so I decided to try a different pattern and I finished it in one day.  Can I just say, it is SOOOO cute and pretty easy too (sorry, can't post pics 'cause I don't want my BIL and SIL to see it yet).

Anyway, while I was working on it, I was thinking about my son's birth.  It just so happens that the color I was using for the hat was the same color as the hat my son came home from the hospital in.  You see, my son was bigger than most newborns.  In fact, he never wore a newborn diaper.

That size also translated to a rather large head, so the hats that they have in the nursery didn't fit him.  One of the nurses went home the night he was born and knit him a hat that would fit.  I still have that hat (scrolled away in storage right now), but seeing a knit hat in the same color, made me think about whether this is a common occurrence.  Perhaps not, but I think I might just start making hats and give them to hospitals.  Most will be for preemies but some for babies born a little larger than average (in honor of my son).  It's a way to still be crafty, but at the same time fill a need.

No comments:

Post a Comment