Wednesday, April 11, 2012

If you give a boy a computer...

...he exceeds your expectations by leaps and bounds. 

My son is into everything techie.  His father is a computer programmer who made his own robot a couple years ago, so being that he's "75% like Daddy" he's very into robots and has started talking recently about programming as well.

Hubby's rule is that our kids can't get their own computer till they can read well and can start to spell at least a little.  So  they've been using mine.  It was a daily routine for my son to ask to use my computer to look up some K'Nex creation he wanted to make.  Needless to say, it got to the point where this Mommy would go for long stretches where she didn't have access to her computer (I realize that can be a good thing, but I will leave that discussion for another day).  At the end of the day, I would find that I had a TON of things that piled up that I needed to get done on my computer (among them invoicing customers and paying bills).

Yesterday, was the first full day my son had his new computer (I think it's safe to say we were both equally excited about that).  So far, he's done a search on K'Nex (of course), watched a Bill Nye video, but he's also sent emails to all the grandparents.  He even sent an email to his great-grandparents.  When he was using my computer, it was torture to get him to send an email.  Granted the emails weren't that long, but he took the initiative and he did all the typing on his own (he just asked me to check the spelling).  He's even gotten responses back (boy was he excited about that)!

I am hoping that having a little more access to a computer (yes I monitor what he can do and how much) will continue to help him expand his learning.  So far, it's going great!

No comments:

Post a Comment