Sunday, April 1, 2012

Drawn Toward the Sweetness

There is nothing like a little added incentive to get you to do something you've been putting off.  This weekend we discovered some incentive as it relates to our new house.  The first weekend we went to the new house the kids came home with bug bites all over.  We figured it was from mosquitoes because we'd seen them and the kids had been out at dusk playing quite a bit. 

The second weekend we went to the house, our daughter came back with a bunch of bites but no one else seemed to have gotten bitten.  My daughter has always been the first one to be bitten by anything.  I don't know what it is about her, but she always gets more bug bites than everyone else (I'm usually second so my contention is that we're sweeter). 

I digress... the disparity this time was baffling though.  I had kept both kids as well as myself, from going outside at dusk, so that made me wonder if perhaps we had flees.  You see, the house was previously occupied by 3 cats so it's a valid concern and my daughter really likes to play in her "new bedroom" which is carpeted.  And no one else has been spending time in the bedrooms like she has.

This weekend we went back, and hubby went into one of the bedrooms to do something and was ATTACKED by flees.  He said he literally watched them jump onto his pant leg.  He now has bug bites all over his legs and so does our daughter.  In fact, on the way home, she scratched so much she got herself bleeding.  Needless to say, our priorities for the new house have just been determined for us. 

We have a few other things we want to get done soon, but removing that carpet is now first and foremost on the list.  This is a bit daunting (since there are 4 bedrooms and a couple hallways all with furniture that will need to be moved) but at the same time it's exciting.  I have always enjoyed working side-by-side with my hubby on stuff like this, and now our son is getting into it too.  This is going to be a time of family bonding to be sure, and I can't wait.

I am however thinking of going to the house this week and putting a little Borax down to try to limit the number of flees that are alive when we rip out their habitat.  After all, I don't want the bonding to be based on commiserating about how much the bug bites itch.

1 comment:

  1. So glad you figured it out and it is fixable! I would definitely to the Borax ahead of time...like you said you don't really want to bond while scratching your bites! Good luck and have fun!

    ReplyDelete