Friday, May 6, 2011

Life in a Camper

Now that we've been living in less than 200 sq feet for over a week, I think I can offer some insights...

Down side:
1.  Moving around inside the camper can be a bit tight.  If it weren't for the "bump out" in our camper, it would be impossible.
2.  In order to fit into a space this small we had to either store some things or get rid of some things that I wish you had access too (a full-size couch would be nice).  I also wish I had my full-size freezer and additional pantry space.
3.  We miss having a cat.  To help fill the void we've adopted some squirrels that we feed regularly (one has even eaten out of hubby's hand).
4.  We have to have a stash of quarters on hand to do laundry.

Up side:
1.  It doesn't take long to clean.  Another down side... it doesn't take long to get messy either (especially since we are camping on sand).
2.  We've really gotten an opportunity to learn just how much stuff is extraneous and what is necessary.  I've found multiple uses for things just so I wouldn't have to lug around additional items.
3.  We're spending more quality family time.  What else is there to do when you've got no TV?
4.  Traveling around in a camper has given us opportunities to see and do things that we wouldn't have otherwise.  We've also been able to meet some interesting people.  For example, we visited a church last Sunday that had 2 guest speakers.  They were the adult children of a family who was recently featured on ABC's Extreme Makeover Home Edition.  What this family does is wonderful and the kids are amazing in their attitude and support of their parents.  To learn more about them go to http://abc.go.com/shows/extreme-makeover-home-edition/episode-detail/hurston-family/703772.

Overall, I would say this has been a very positive experience thus far.  Is it something I would do for an extended period of time?  I'm not sure.  Ask me again in a a few more weeks.

2 comments:

  1. I'm glad you are adjusting. I like the pros list. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like your writing style. An easy and humorous read. Can't wait till the next addition.

    ReplyDelete