Friday, May 13, 2011

Going to See Jesus

My Grandmother has been sick for quite some time.  Luckily, our travels to Florida had us only 2.5 hours away, so a couple weeks ago we took a day trip to see her.  While there, she slept most of the time, but I'm very happy we went.  You see those times when she was awake were good.  She became conversational (not overly mind you), and she was definitely taking in everything around her.  It just so happened that 2 of my 3 cousins had come the same day, so she was able to see 3 of her 5 grand-kids all in the same place (for the first time in many years).  Shortly after that trip my grandmother started sleeping more and being awake less, so I'm glad we went when we did.

Since that trip, I've been thinking about what I remember most about my grandmother.  It would probably have to be the time spent together when she would tell me stories and poems she had learned when she was in grade school.  I remember that even at the age of 90 she could recite those poems.  (Why did I not get that ability?)  I also remember a portrait she painted of me from a picture taken outside her home.  It used to sit over the piano at my parent's house (the painting is still there but the piano is not).  I hope that once we are settled somewhere, that I can get that painting.  She was quite the artist and I really wish I'd been able to spend more time with her to learn art and sewing from her.

I love you Grandma!  I am happy that you are no longer in pain and that you are now in the arms of Jesus.  You'll be missed.

No comments:

Post a Comment