Thursday, May 19, 2011

Busy Times are Coming

Yesterday, the kids and I went to the Museum of Arts and Sciences in Daytona Beach, FL.  We didn't spend much time in the "arts" section of the museum, but we did spend almost 5 hours in the Children's Museum section;  the primary focus of which was science.   Even though the space was rather small (we've been to smaller and we've been to much bigger as well), they were really able to pack in some excellent quality activities.

I knew from looking on-line that the museum had quite a few things that the kids would like.  In particular, they had a race track where you got to build your own car (we WERE down the street from Daytona International Speedway after all).  Little did I know that the cars were built out of K'Nex.  Anyone that knows my son, knows that he LOVES K'Nex.  He passed up Legos years ago in favor of K'Nex.  We spent most of our time working on building and racing our cars.  It just so happened that the track had space for 3 cars to race each other.

My son's second favorite thing, was an area where they allowed you to build circuits.  It's safe to say that this love came from his father.  I'm sure if he had been there, they would have had a great time in this area.

My daughter's second favorite thing was a pretend play area where you got to make pizzas.  I liked this area, because while my daughter made the pizzas (and I pretended to eat them), my son was the cashier and we worked on making change.


I truly love the idea of Children's Museums.  They are a wonderful way of teaching, while your children are completely clueless to the fact that you are doing so. 

So, why are busy times coming you ask?  Because, while we were at the museum yesterday, I got a family membership which allows our family access to 300 museums across the country for free or steeply discounted.  Can you say busy and fun times are coming?!?!  I can't wait to start taking advantage.  Who knows, maybe we'll end up back in Daytona at some point and we can bring along Daddy to play with the circuits...after all, we are members there now.

No comments:

Post a Comment