Friday, May 13, 2011

Life in a Camper - Part 2 (Cleaning)


I HATE doing dishes.  I've always hated doing dishes.  When we first got married, we lived in a house that had no dishwasher and no A/C.  Dishes in the summer were TORTURE.  Guess what?  I've pretty much gone back to that life again.  The camper has no dishwasher (but me).  We do have an air conditioner but the vent over the stove is not working right now which means that all the heat from cooking stays in the camper right now so doing dishes in the evening can be a bit rough.

As opposed to when we first got married, I have extra dishes too because I have 2 more people using them.  Not only that, hubby and I are now eating lunch "at home."

The only thing I hate more than dishes is cleaning bathrooms.  Luckily, I now only have one and it is rather small.  A shower, a toilet, a sink with barely any counter space, and a floor that is maybe 25 sq feet.  One bathroom means that it gets used more frequently so I feel obligated to clean it more often, but for some reason that is easier on the psyche than having to do 2 or 3 bathrooms less often.

Something else about camper life (in the South) ... If you wear sandals or flip flops during the day, it is a MUST to wash feet before bed.  If you don't you will be dragging sand into your bed.  At the end of the day, my kids feet are usually black.  If we are pressed for time and I don't want the kids to take a full shower (or in my case I take my shower in the morning), a quick foot washing is a requirement before bed.

Yesterday, we bought an outside "rug" to help try to alleviate some of the sand-into-the-camper problems, but sweeping the floor every night is still a requirement at this point.  Not only does this help with the sand problem, but there is also an ant problem and my kids seem to have problems getting all their food into their mouth.

For those of you have camped, what is your least favorite part to clean?

No comments:

Post a Comment