Saturday, May 3, 2014

Runnin' in the Rain

Well, I am happy to report that I finished the 5K today.  Being that there was thunder and lightening as the race started, I had some doubts about whether they would cancel it.  Because of all the rain we got yesterday and again this morning they also had to change the course a bit.  I got to dodge tree roots and a fair number of mud puddles and water puddles still.  I don't know exactly how I finished compared to the other racers in my age group, but I finished with my fastest time yet and with a hard push at the end so I'm happy.  Especially since it's my first 5K in 7 years and I really only trained for 2 weeks prior.

I think it's safe to say, I want to try this again.  A 5K is definitely something I can see myself doing on a somewhat regular basis.  And I can see myself getting faster if I train consistently.  In fact, I'm thinking of doing a night race in July.  My goal for that one will be to cut 4 minutes off my time from today.

Good news... tomorrow's training day is a 2 mile walk so I can do that in my old tennis shoes.  That's important since it will probably take a couple days for my shoes to dry out from today's run... that ankle deep puddle really got my feet wet.

Update: I was able to figure out how I placed.  11th for my age group and 135th out of 171 overall.  And one more thing... when the race started I was about 200 feet from the start line talking to a friend who wasn't running, so I could have done better just by starting with everyone else.  With the rain I wasn't thinking I'd do that well.  If I'd have known I'd do as well as I did, I think I would have tried a bit harder... next time.

1 comment: