Friday, February 22, 2013

Empathy

Years ago I worked with a woman who was raising two boys as a single mother.  It often meant that one or both of them would come in to work with her when school was out (thankfully our employer was flexible like that).  It would mean she HAD to take sick days to take care of a sick kid (no spouse to take turns with).  It meant that she was ALWAYS busy; when not at work, she was doing something for or with her boys.

Back then, I thought she was a special woman for being able to do all that she was doing.  But the last couple days I've gotten an all-new appreciation for what she did.  You see, the last few days my husband has been out of town on a business trip.

Has my husband been on business trips before?  Yes.  But this is the first time he's been on a business trip when I wasn't near family.  In fact, he is staying at my parent's house because the meeting is near their house.  And while there, he's going to drive a couple hours to visit with his grandparents and his parents (who just happen to be finishing a visit to his grandparents).

So what have I learned?  Single mom's are a whole different breed of women.  They are amazing.  The though of doing this day after day, week after week is very daunting.  I've also learned that finding a support system is very important.  If you don't have family nearby, it's important to find friends who can help you out in a pinch.

For example:  I had a friend who watched my kids for a little over an hour today so that I could do something for work.  Was the thing I was doing for work urgent?  No.  But I had made a promise before I knew my husband was going to be out of town, and I felt I had to follow through.  Thankfully Becca was able to help me out... a God-send.


I am so thankful that this is only going to last for a few more days.  But I'm also thankful I've had this experience, because it's given me a new insight into the life of a single mom. 

For those of you who know a single mom... do me a favor.  Offer to help her out every once in a while:  Help her do some stuff around her house, offer to watch her kids for a few hours in the evening or on the weekend (without pay) so she can have some alone time, take her a meal so she can spend more time with her kids, or meet for a play-date (at a park or your house) so she can have a little time talking to another mom while the kids are running around.

1 comment: