Thursday, February 23, 2012

Help From the Village

This time of year, my parent's (my mom in particular since she was born and raised in Florida) get stir crazy living in Virginia.  That's why, for the last 5 years or so, they have gone on a cruise in January or February.  Not ones to buck such a wonderful and warm tradition, my parents went on their cruise earlier this month.  They decided to extend their warm weather enjoyment by staying at our house for a week before their cruise as well as a few days after.  A couple days before they were planning on heading back home, they were in a car accident (a little whip lash for my mom, but otherwise they are fine).  The damage to the car however, necessitated that it be fixed before they leave.  They are now scheduled to be in the area for a week and a half more while the car gets fixed.

I admit, that fitting 4 adults and 2 kids (one of each gender) into a 3 bedroom house has been a bit difficult, but considering we stayed in their house for 6 months, it's the least we can do.  We figured out the best way to deal with the sleeping arrangements after their first week so that's all fine now.

The interesting side-effect to all this is that I now have extra hands.  I've been able to go grocery shopping without the kids (and occasionally with my mom).  My dad has even taken the kids to a local park a couple times so they could ride their bikes (which means I got stuff done and the kids got worn out at the same time - win win!).

I know I've had this kind of help before.  We used to live close to my parents and we had a few friends who I could count on to watch the kids when I needed the extra help.  My kids were also in school back then so I usually packed "school time" full of errands and other things that I couldn't do with the kids around.

I don't know why it took this long, but I really think I get the phrase, "It takes a village to raise a child"  It's not that a child MUST have many people to help rear them to be productive members of society, but it certainly doesn't hurt.  It also helps the parent be a more productive member of their family if they have a little time to themselves.

Here's to hoping I find some new villagers to share the burden with soon.  I think we will all benefit from it.

No comments:

Post a Comment