Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Here Comes the Rain

Apparently, Florida has been experiencing a very bad drought.  You see, 4 days before we got to our current campground, the county put a ban on all outdoor fires (except in grills).  The disappointment over not being able to roast marshmallows was almost palpable with the kids.

I remember visiting my grandparents in Tampa and seeing a thunderstorm just about every afternoon, so all of the dry weather we've experienced over the last 2 months has been a bit surprising.  I just figured it was the time of year or where in the state we were.  I guess not.  We even saw some fires along 95 on our way from Fort Lauderdale.  I thought they were controlled burns.  Apparently not.

All of that said, I think we have seen more rain in the last 3 days than all the other days combined.  Technically I think any one of the last three days was more than any of the previous days combined.   When we checked in, we asked the ranger if he thought the ban would be lifted anytime soon (we were getting rain when I checked in).  I was told that he didn't see it happening unless there "was so much rain someone started to build another Noah's Ark."  Today, I thought we were going to float away.  There were "rivers" all over the campground.  Our "yard" was a pond.  There were some people across the way in a tent and the water was just rushing in.  That was about 2 hours ago.


Guess what?  The rain is starting again.  I wonder how much rain we will get from this one.  Our family is just hoping and praying all this rain will help lift the burning ban before we leave.  At the same time, we're hoping it doesn't delay the shuttle launch.  We can only stay for a few more days after it's currently scheduled date, but right now all the storms seem to be coming through at exactly the same time of day as the launch is scheduled.  We shall see.

No comments:

Post a Comment