Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Growing Up

Both of my children have a lovie.  It just so happens to be a blanket (called "blankie") which they have each slept and cuddled with just about every day since they were 6 mo. old.  Jon and I are both in the habit of letting our children know that their blankets must be washed on a regular basis just because of all the germs we are sure they contain (after all, they are taken just about everywhere - including being drug on the floor).

Today as I was getting ready to do laundry, I told my children it was time to wash their "blankies."  My son then told me that he no longer wanted his "blankie."  He said I could sell it or give it away to the Salvation Army.  Any family members know that this is a BIG deal (especially if he sticks with it).  You see, my FIL has been trying for a couple years to convince my son that he is too old for his blankie.  I'm just hoping that something flipped the switch and he's now thinking of himself as a "big boy" and will therefore be blankie free from now on.  That said, I have scrolled it away just in case (you know, just in case I need to embarrass him when he's older).   ;-)

2 comments:

  1. All my kiddos have lovies. When they were ready to give them up, I put them away. A few months later I would pull them out and give them back. A treasure. They didn't need them like they used to, but cherish them and have a place of honor in their rooms.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bravo for Jason and also a little melancholy for you I'm sure. These milestones are wonderful to observe.

    ReplyDelete