Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Never Forgotten... Always Loved

Today is a bitter sweet day for me.  With the exception of a few months where I lived in New York for a summer job (where I meet my hubby) and again for 3 months when I lived in Ohio last summer, I have lived the last 27 years of my life in Virginia.  I have lived in multiple houses, but all within about a 50 mile radius.

Today, all of that is changing.  We are officially moving out of the area.  We are still not sure where we will ultimately settle down; at this point we're thinking it could be Florida, Texas, or Australia.

This is exciting because we are one step closer to having our own place again.  The time of living in limbo is drawing to a close.  It's also an opportunity to find a new house and decorate it.  We sold or gave away all of our household furnishings last year, so I get to start from scratch (and let me tell you my tastes have changed a lot since my wedding registry).  I will also be able to make new friends, and depending on where we move, get reacquainted with ones I haven't seen in years.

On the flip side, I will be leaving behind friends I've made over the years as well as most of our immediate family.  I remember when I graduated from high school a certain song was my mantra.  For all my friends and family that I'm "leaving behind" I dedicate this to you.

Friends by Deborah D. & Michael W. Smith

Packing up the dreams God planted
In the fertile soil of you
Can't believe the hopes He's granted
Means a chapter in your life is through
But we'll keep you close as always
It won't even seem you've gone
'Cause our hearts in big and small ways
Will keep the love that keeps us strong

And friends are friends forever
If the Lord's the Lord of them
And a friend will not say never
'Cause the welcome will not end
Though it's hard to let you go
In the Father's hands we know
That a lifetime's not too long to live as friends.

With the faith and love God's given
Springing from the hope we know
We will pray the joy you'll live in
Is the strength that now you show

But we'll keep you close as always
It won't even seem you've gone
'Cause our hearts in big and small ways
Will keep the love that keeps us strong

And friends are friends forever
If the Lord's the Lord of them
And a friend will not say never
'Cause the welcome will not end
Though it's hard to let you go
In the Father's hands we know
That a lifetime's not too long to live as friends.

1 comment:

  1. Sniff. Sniff. I'm thrilled for you and sad at your leaving too. I hope this next adventure is filled with joy and can't wait to hear how it's going. Oh - and I'm so with you on the tastes changing as I've gotten older thing. :D

    ReplyDelete