Thursday, February 24, 2011

One Crafty Lady

My grandmother is an artist.  I mean a REAL artist.  She just turned 92 so she's doesn't have the mobility and hand dexterity that she used to, but she used to be a prolific painter and sculptor.  She's never sold her work as far as I know;  she just did it for the love and enjoyment of doing it. 

My mom and little brother can draw and paint like her, but not me.  I can do stick people and some basic animals (butterflies and bees).  When growing up, I remember being in art class and wondering why I didn't get any of those skills. 

Yesterday, I realized that my artistic gift is not so much in drawing, painting, and sculpting.  Mine is in crafts.  As a mom of 2 small children, crafts have become a staple in my house.  You know what - I have come up with some interesting ideas too.  I have been cross stitching for years.  I can follow patterns for cross-stitch, but I can also make adjustments to them to make them look better and meet my specific needs.  I have also recently learned how to knit (a skill I am hopeful I will become really good at).  I can also sew. 

Until yesterday, all I did in the relm of sewing was to repair things or to make fleece baby blankets.  My confidence was lifted when I made a pillow yesterday.  Not just any pillow, but a 3D pillow.  I sewed together 6 panels (one of which had a 30" zipper in it).  Oh, and none of it with a pattern... just the measurements of the space in the camper that I needed the pillow to fit.

To borrow a phrase a friend of mine likes to use... I think I have mad [crafting] skills.  Thanks Grandma for passing some artistic skills along to me after all.

1 comment:

  1. LOVE this!! Congrats on the pillow. It's cool when you can recognize a talent of your own. :))

    ReplyDelete