Wednesday, May 29, 2013

I See Stupid People

For those who don't know, I have a small car.  It's currently the 3rd smallest production car in the USA.  I love my car.  The gas mileage is GREAT!  And considering the miles I drive in my line of work, that's important.

But having this car does have a down side.  It's small and there are LOTS of cars out there that are bigger than mine.  I just discovered this article about how although the Fiat is a safe car to drive, it doesn't fare well against larger cars.  It's a logical conclusion I made a while ago, but to see it in writing like this puts it into perspective.

So what does all this mean for me?  I'm extra vigilant when I drive.  Especially when my kids are in the car.  You see my parents were driving their minivan and were rear ended by a pick up truck and this happened...


My parents were stopped and the driver who hit them wasn't going all that fast.   Imagine what would have happened if it was my Fiat and there were people in the back seat!  I shudder to think about it.

So here is my plea...  Drive with caution and obey the law!

1.  There is a reason it's illegal to change lanes in an intersection, and today I got to experience it first hand.  You see, today I was almost in an accident because someone decided to do just that.  I was making a right turn (on red after stopping = completely legal) into a lane that had 100's of feet of free space for me to do so.  Someone one lane over decided to get into my lane in order to pass someone else.  They ended up pulling over on / in front of me and missed my car by about 1 foot.  If I had been going a little faster, I guarantee we would have hit.

2.  I then watched them zig-zag through traffic for the next mile or so after they almost hit me; another illegal act.

3.  Add to that the fact that most of their lane changes occurred without the use of their turn signal and they were 0 for 3.

Would I have been hurt if they had hit my car?  No.  Although my car is small, I think I would have been fine because neither of us were going that fast and it wouldn't have been a head-on crash.  A bit stiff perhaps, but not seriously injured.  If I had been on a motorcycle I'm not sure I would have fared so well.  Pay attention people.  And don't drive stupid!

No comments:

Post a Comment