Wednesday, April 17, 2013

So Proud... And Guilty

I am a working mom.  Most of my work is done from home, but the nature of real estate means occasionally I need to show a house (or a few) or go to an inspection, walk-through, or closing.  Two nights ago, I was contacted by a client who I knew was seriously looking, asking how soon we could see a property that had just become available.  Because of my schedule and her work schedule we met at 5:45 yesterday.   That is right around when my family normally eats.

And here is where the guilt comes in.  My hubby had 5 hours of sleep the night before so he had gone to take a nap.  I didn't want to bother him since he's been working hard on a project lately.  My kids are very obedient and know what they are and are not allowed to do (they don't even eat candy they are given at church because they know they need to ask), so off I went leaving them with instructions on what they could do while I was gone.

The house I was going to see was 15 minutes from my house, so I figured I wasn't far away nor would it take long.  I left at 5:30 after having my kids eat a snack, thinking I should be back by 6:30 to feed them (I was going to bring back pizza so no waiting for me to cook would be involved). 

As if I didn't felt bad enough that I was going to make them wait till 6:30 to eat, my client saw the house and decided she wanted to put in an offer... NOW!  So rather than go to my house, I went to my office to work up an offer.

And here is where the pride comes in.  When I realized I was going to be late, I called the house (note: I have not given this number out to anyone.  I don't think my hubby even knows the number.  Not because I don't want him to, but what's the point really).  The only other phone calls we get on this number are phone spam.  I recently taught my 9 year old how to tell if I'm the one calling.  I also programmed my cell phone number into the phone so he could call me if he needed.

Well, he picked up the phone right away (I was thinking I'd have to call a couple times back to back before he answered).  I told him that I was going to be later than I though and that they should try to find something simple and small to eat to tide them over till I got home.

As I'm on my way home from the office, I realize that my son had called me, so I called him back real quick to see if I needed to go to the house rather than the pizza place first.  He said he and his sister were hungry and wanted to know when I would be back.  I told him I was planning on making 2 stops (pizza & gas - I was running on fumes).

He said that was ok.  They understood that what I was doing was important for the family and that they could wait a little longer.  Needless to say, the pizza was a hit (I didn't actually tell them where I was getting dinner from).  The doughnuts I bought at the gas station as additional guilt appeasement didn't hurt either I'm sure.

Oh, and the offer I worked up....I should hear back on that tomorrow morning. 

1 comment:

  1. Wow, how wonderful! I'm glad you had the foresight to teach J how to deal with the phones. Also, how amazingly mature of him to be "in charge" like that. Good job Karrie. I know it is hard to have to make these types of conflicting decisions, but you are a wonderful wife and mother.

    ReplyDelete