Friday, March 25, 2011

Two Steps Forward, One Step Back

If you've read my posts lately you know that I recently started using a system called Accountable Kids.  The first couple days went quite smoothly.  The last couple days were a bit more problematic.  Yesterday, I was continually reminding my 4 year old that she needs to do her chores.  I got up this morning and decided not to do that today.  I told her that I wasn't going to remind her today and if she didn't get things done she would not get her ticket.  So far, so good.  She's earned her first ticket for the day without any prodding from me, so that's progress.

My 7 year old, on the other hand, seems to be in the mood to hoard his tickets.  He's not sure what he wants to do with them so he's just "collecting" them.  That said, when I took a ticket away today because he was copping a 'tude with me (something that was instituted on day 2 of the program) he flipped out.  He also gave me grief about school today... going so far as to say I was a horrible teacher.  Come to find out he just didn't want to do school today; probably because he knew that once he finished school he'd get another ticket for his collection.

I can see the potential this program has, so I have no intention of giving up any time soon.  If anything, the reactions from the last few days have shown me that I need to be persistent so that the goal of responsible, respectful, and accountable children will be accomplished.  Wish me luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment