Wednesday, March 23, 2011

A New Normal

My kids have been watching WAY too much TV and have been whining and giving me 'tude.  I think they are related, so I've decided to do something about it.  I have a couple of friends who've been using a system called Accountable Kids for a while, with pretty good success.  I'd gotten the basics on how the system works from them and even found the companies quick start information on You Tube.  I fell in love and decided to buy it.  (I even found one kit on ebay for less than half price, so score one for me!)

Accountable Kids recommends instituting their system in 4 stages.  We started stage one yesterday and I must say it's been eye opening.  Each day the kids are responsible for a set of chores (simple things like brush teeth, get dressed, etc).  Upon completion they receive tickets.  Those tickets can be redeemed for things I'm trying to limit their time on (like TV time) or other things I think will help motivate them (like time playing games with Mommy).  They've been doing great doing their chores.  Those tickets are quite the incentive.  The most surprising thing is that neither of them has used their tickets to watch TV.  Instead they've been interested in playing games with me.

This has been a good and bad thing.  They have been TV free for over 24 hours now (good).  It's also meant I've been able to spend more time with my kids (also good), but it's also meant I've spent less time getting other things done that I've been needing to do (there is no laundry fairy so that's bad).  I'm hopeful that things will soon stabalize and I will not be requested quite so much.

In the meantime, I'm enjoying the fact that my kids are enjoying the "new" responsibilities they have as well as the responsible choices they are making.  I can't wait to see how step 2 goes.

2 comments:

  1. This is great. I love this idea.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jen, They even have an interesting way to help break your child of bad habits like getting out of bed :-)

    ReplyDelete