Friday, June 15, 2012

Florida = Visitors

I know fellow Floridians can relate to this, but living in Florida means you have visitors particularly in the Winter.  My in-laws visited us in the rental house in January.  My parents visited in February.  I can't say I blame them.  They are from Iowa and Virginia respectively and temps in Florida are a break from the monotonous cold (it is why we moved South).

What I wasn't expecting was for everyone to visit us again in May.  My mother-in-law came for a little over a week while my father-in-law was on a business trip (Again, I can't blame her.  I don't like being home alone either).  What was really surprising was to get a call from my parents asking if they could stay for a little while.  They were half way to us and wanted to surprise my daughter for her birthday.



Who are we to turn away family!  So we had 3 visitors at our house at the same time (while it was still under construction).  We were able to get one of the bedrooms done just in time so that we could squeeze everyone in.


What our visitors may not have expected was that we put them to work while they were with us  :-)  My dad was put to work by my husband almost every day doing things in the yard.  They cut down a few trees, pulled lots of weeds, and removed some of the stuff the previous owner had left behind.  Just about every evening, all the adults (and occasionally the kids) were out doing work in the yard.  

My mother-in-law also did a lot of cleaning inside the house.  You see, the bedrooms all had blinds that were covered in mildew.  Needless to say, opening your windows and letting all the Florida humidity in the house and then turning on the A/C is not a good idea.  I am amazed at how clean they are too!  I had considered just buying new ones, but now I don't have to.



We weren't all about the work though.  We did play some too.  We swam in our pool a few times (great way to cool off after all the yard work) and we all went to the beach too.

One thing I know is that, those few days of working with others has given us a bit of a kick in the pants that we needed to get more things done.  It's been really nice being able to check things off the list.

Anyone else want to visit?  We could really use some help putting up some gutters and creating drainage ditches for the torrential rain we get occasionally ;-)


2 comments:

  1. Hmm... perhaps I should rethink my October visiting thoughts. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete