Saturday, January 21, 2012

The Makings of a REAL Man

I have found that the role of parenting changes as children get older.  The first step is protector and care giver (especially when they are very small).  This stage never really goes away, but it does get overshadowed by other roles.

One of the next steps is self-sufficiency.  We teach our children how to get dressed, brush their teeth, and feed themselves.  Yesterday, my son (a month away from 8 years old) took that step a little further.  Yesterday, he made corn muffins by himself (ok, so I put the pan in the oven and took it out, but he did everything else).

He got out the ingredients.  He mixed everything together.




He turned on the oven,  put the batter in the pan, and set the timer.



He even checked the muffins when it went off and helped decide they needed to cook a little longer.  And while they were cooking, he even cleaned up his mess.



And of course, he got to enjoy the fruits of his labors... MMMM.... success!



I realize the typical role of a male is not in the kitchen, but that doesn't mean that he shouldn't be prepared to take care of himself (or his future wife) if necessary.  Hopefully this is the first step.

3 comments:

  1. Go J !!
    Give him the recipe for poppy seed chicken, my young ones can throw that together, add in some frozen broccoli and you have a one pan meal

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay!!! I think it's important for guys to know how to cook at the very least some basic things. They won't have a wife in college cooking for them, so unless they're in a dorm, they'll need to survive on more than mac n cheese! Aaron was taught to cook, clean, etc as a kid out of necessity with 2 working parents, and as a result, I have a husband who can easily fill those gaps for me. I want to raise my boys the same (without having to go to work though. :) )

    ReplyDelete
  3. Whoo-hoo!! Way to go J! ~J

    ReplyDelete