Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Looking Back - 10 year later

It's hard to believe that 10 years ago today I became a Mom.  It seems like just yesterday.  Especially since I remember the day so vividly.

My day started out very early.  I remember waking up around 1:30AM with what I thought were contractions.  They weren't particularly close but they were consistent enough for me to go downstairs to watch TV and figure things out.  My little brother must have heard me because he came down too (I forgot to mention that we were living on a mountain at the time, and 10 days earlier - my due date - an ice storm came through so we ended up staying at my parents house rather than get stuck on the mountain).  So my brother and I watched TV for a couple hours as my contractions got closer together.

Around 3:30 I woke up my husband to let him know what was going on.  He took a shower and we left the house by 4:30.  My contractions were still 10 minutes apart or so, but we were also in Northern Virginia and had to drive TOWARD Washington, DC.  Something I didn't like to do on a regular day, much less while I was in labor.  I DID NOT want to get stuck in rush hour traffic and deliver on the side of the road.

Turned out that was not an issue.  We made it to the hospital with plenty of time to spare.  In fact, my labor was SO slow, I told my husband to go to a meeting that was scheduled for that morning.  You see, he and his brother were trying to start a business and this meeting was important for that.  In fact, the guy had come down from New Jersey for the meeting, and the meeting location was only a couple miles from the hospital.  I told him to keep his cell phone on and I'd call if he needed to come back.

Needless to say, I didn't have to call him.  In fact, he got back to the hospital and I sent him and his brother back out to eat some lunch.  And I didn't deliver our son for another couple hours after he got back from lunch.


Happy Birthday to my big boy!  Mama LOVES you SO much!

By the way, hubby and his brother got a contract out of that meeting 10 years ago.  Although the contract didn't come that day, I've always used my son's birthday as the "start date" of the company. 

No comments:

Post a Comment