Wednesday, November 6, 2013

The New, "Old School"

I admit it, I'm getting older.  We all are.  Each day we are one day older than the day before, and I'm okay with that.  But there are some things that help you realize just how old you are.

An example that easily comes to mind... when one of my kids asks me, "Did they have X (color TV or Legos for example) when you were a kid?"  Then there's the, "What's that Mommy?" while pointing to a telephone book that was delivered to our house the other day.  Another was realizing that my son will be 10 (double digits folks) in 3 months.  CRA! ZY!

And a couple days ago a good friend of mine sent me an email.  Why does that make me feel old?  Because she sent an email because sending an actual letter was just too old school.  Sending a letter... old school?  I suppose so, but it seems so odd that's it's gone out of fashion so quickly.

That got me thinking.  My son is familiar with email;  how it works and what it's for.  My daughter has a general knowledge of it, but has never sent or received one.  They are not old enough to have an account, but I'm sure Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, or something very similar will be their version of email in the future.  Will their kids be asking them one day what Facebook was? 

I'm not sure.  But I sure hope when it happens, they feel as old as I do when they ask me their questions.

1 comment:

  1. buahahaha! The questions make me feel old too. Of course, the appearance of these weird gray strands on my head is having that impact too.

    ReplyDelete