Saturday, November 19, 2011

Giving Thanks With a Greatful Heart

Today in the United States we are celebrating Thanksgiving.  It is a day when we reflect on our lives and thank God for our blessings.  A small sampling of what I am thankful for:

  • My family.  This time last year, we were living with my parents (and brother).  Our lease was up and we didn't want to commit to a new lease just yet so they let us stay at their house (for 6 months) while we figured everything out.
  • Opportunities.  Living with my parents helped my kids get to know their grandparents and their uncle better.  It also allowed us to do some other things we would not have been able to do (like purchase a camper and travel across 16 different states over a 4 month period) all while still having a "home base."
  • Modern conveniences and technology.  The kids and I have been studying (online) about the Plimoth settlers and the Wapanaoag Indians.  The trials and tribulations they went through certainly help explain why they felt a 3 day celebration of thanks was in order.  Technology also helps keep family and friends who are living apart in contact much easier than they did back in 17th century (yeah for blogging, Facebook, Google chat, and FaceTime).
  • Homeschooling successes.  Although I have embarked on a method of homeschooling that some would frown upon (and that sometimes I question whether they are learning anything), I have recently been shown that they are in fact learning.  My daughter is reading!  My son's reading is improving as are his computer skills.  And some of the questions others ask that they can answer... just amazing!
  • My husband.  I have a hard working husband who loves me and believes in me enough to trust me to homeschool our children.
  • Homeschooling opportunities.  We moved to an area that has given us so many homeschool opportunities.  The friends the kids and I have made already, as well as the things we've been able to do have been wonderful.
  • Extended family that happens to live nearby and has invited us to Thanksgiving dinner.
  • The freedom I have to sing:
GIVE THANKS
WITH A GRATEFUL HEART
GIVE THANKS
TO THE HOLY ONE
GIVE THANKS
FOR HE'S GIVEN
JESUS CHRIST, HIS SON

AND NOW LET THE WEAK SAY
I AM STRONG
LET THE POOR SAY
I AM RICH
BECAUSE OF WHAT
THE LORD HAS DONE
FOR US
GIVE THANKS...

1 comment:

  1. What a wonderful list. Thank you for your continued friendship as I truly consider it one of the blessings I am thankful for. ~J

    ReplyDelete