Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Change of Plans

One of the reasons I liked the idea of homeschooling (for this year in particular) is that it allows me to be flexible in where and how I teach.  After helping my son with homework last year I realized that he learns better if things are made a bit more fun.  Doing pages and pages of seat work is not appealing to him (and I get that).

Yesterday, we learned about the classifications of animals.  I let the kids go through magazines and cut out pictures of different animals and then we glued them onto pages based upon their classification.  My son enjoyed the project so much that he made a book out of the pages and then started to add facts to the different categories (e.g. birds all have feathers).  Yesterday, was one of the longest "days of school" we've had to date, but he didn't complain because I'd found a way to make it fun.

This morning we learned about George Washington Carver.  My son has always been into inventing and making things so GWC, was of particular interest.  It didn't hurt that we got to shell and eat peanuts while watching a DVD about him and some of the things he invented. 

We are currently taking a "break" from school for today (another benefit of homeschooling).    You see, I've also learned that sometimes a break helps him focus better (and it can help me focus better because I can get a few things done now and then without feeling like I'm ignoring his schooling).  After lunch we will start up again and do a few worksheets and read a book before heading out to the playground and the library.

Another benefit to homeschooling is that when a child is sick on the day of a scheduled field trip, you can change the date on said trip.   You see, today I was going to take the kids to the zoo in DC.  I figured it would be appropriate since I've been teaching the kids about the different categories of animals.  Luckily I did not tell my children of my plans.  If I had, there would have been a LOT of complaining when we didn't go.  You see, when we went to bed last night, I was still not confident that I should be taking my daughter 1.5 hours away from home since she hadn't been feeling well lately. 

Today, she seems to be doing much better.  It's too late to go to the zoo today, but since it is so nice out I think I will take the kids to the local playground and the library (which is a couple blocks away) instead.  

I'm still hopeful that we can get a trip to the zoo in soon (Saturday looks nice - but more crowded of course).  Who knows what will happen.  Things can change, and probably will between now and then, but that's ok.  We're homeschoolers and we can roll with the punches.

1 comment:

  1. This is a great advantage to homeschooling. I'm so glad it is working for you at present.

    ReplyDelete